Montag, 18. April 2011

Sandbagging???

Tax Day has come and gone, and while many of my fellow Americans were busy crunching numbers and digging through W-2 forms I found myself in an elementary school parking lot surrounded by small cluster of men and women wearing tights. All of whom were eyeing the queasy looking sky and thinking the same thing. "What in this good green earth encouraged me to leave my warm saturday morning bed and come out here?"
The reason. Race Day! Hosted by ICE(Idaho Cycling Enthusiasts, but i think the pun was intended) the annual Tax Day race was only a few minutes from starting. I hadn't competed in a race in nearly 5 years, and judging by the mass of $2000 carbon fiber road bikes lining up next to me on the starting line I was starting to regret my decision to come, as all I had was my $300 steel single-speed. I figured if I finished I'd be happy.
Well the race started off, and I'm sorry I didn't have anyone to take any pictures, but one hour eleven minutes thirty-seven seconds and twenty miles later I rolled across the finish line a full twenty minutes ahead of second place.
Not bad I thought.
Considering I dropped the pack about a mile into the course and never saw another competing soul until the end, but what really gave me bragging rights was the laughable fact that some kid on a cheap piece of steel was able to finish strong let alone finish. Felt good.... maybe I'll have to go start wrestling Sitani, and Noah, and Jace so I can brag about beating little kids as well :P

6 Kommentare:

Will Thomas hat gesagt…

Nice work Seth! Makes me want to get my $2,000 carbon fiber bike off the rack it has been sitting on for the past 3 months and go for a 20 mile (2 hour) ride. But since my "Word Verification" for this comment is "quit" I'll think I'll stop while I'm ahead.

James and Elizabeth hat gesagt…

great stuff.

Sandy hat gesagt…

Wish we were there to take it all in(except for the ice) and maybe a picture or two. Nice going!

James and Elizabeth hat gesagt…

James has talked about your blog/race about three times already today. That's a lot for James. I don't usually hear him talk so much about one thing. I think he's kinda jealous with your outcome. he only told me you came in first 20 minutes faster than 2 place like 6 times. hahahaha

Way to Go. In behalf of James Congratulations.

Seth Thomas hat gesagt…

Will: I bet you could do better than that. All that Dura Ace is certain to make you go really fast. I mean your bike looks fast standing still. So it must be even faster moving :P
James: Thanks James(Via Elizabeth)I forgot how fun racing is. I even went out and did a Time Trial last night for kicks. Didn't win, but placed about mid-pack which still ain't bad for a fixie.

Dan Thomas hat gesagt…

I am afraid I would not get out of a warm bed into an ICE bike ride. With my luck there would be noting but ICE there!