Freitag, 9. September 2011

I want my ball

So earlier this week after classes were finished I headed into the city with my friend Sara to go looking for school books. We were one our way from one book store to another, when I noticed a little girl, probably around two years old, trying to reach her ball which was floating in the city center fountain. It was just inches away from her fingers, and her face was just a mask of determination in reaching her toy. My first thoughts were how cute, but that was rapidly followed by an almost audible UH-OH when she started raising her chubby leg over the small wall of the fountain. Those of you who have ever raised a two year old can already guess the outcome if she succeeds in mounting the wall.
Spying no parents on their way to intervene, I tapped her on the shoulder and asked if she needed someone to get her ball. She kinda looked at me like "Duh", but was kind enough to just simply point and say "Ball" a few times. Which was good enough for me. I asked her to hold some papers I had on me (schedules, syllabii, book lists, normal first week stuff) and then reached out into the fountain to get the ball (which had now floated farther away). I was just about to grab the ball, when a splash of water drenched my arm. Looking over I saw my chubby little friend had tried to use my papers to extend her reach, but had succeeded mainly in dunking my papers. She was about ready to go for it again, but by then I had the ball and as quickly as possible I exchanged her wet ball for my wet papers. Which seemed like a fair deal to her. And I went to dry off my papers while she looked ready to toss her ball somewhere else.
Crazy kids. They're just too cute and smart for they're own good.

4 Kommentare:

Dalynn hat gesagt…

It's fun to read about your adventures. So glad your writing these posts so we can all keep up.

Sandy hat gesagt…

Another great short story from Seth. One day I hope he writes a book. I love reading your stories.

James and Elizabeth hat gesagt…

dido to what Dalynn said. It's always fun to read your stories. I hope you could still read your papers after having them get wet.

Dan Thomas hat gesagt…

Write Mom a joural of your experieces going to school. I know she would like that! Also eat a Donners for her!