Samstag, 8. Dezember 2007

IT'S ALWAYS THE ODD LITTLE THINGS:

Well I'm really new at this whole blogging thing, but oh well. I guess I can sit here and babble a little, and then go back through to change everything to make it sound like I'm really WISE. Either way... it's the Second Advent here in Germany, and also P-Day for those of us who spend our days in the Office. And in a spirit of final relaxation, and good ol' pent up fun. We went straight for the heart of Frankfurt today, and got some good ol' Christmas shopping in. For anyone who's been to Germany in the Christmas season.. they know there's a nostagia here that is quite insurpassable. The Fußgangerzone, or high street if you live in England, is a pedestrain only zone that every European town has. It's generally torn to shred by shoppers, and eager Missionaries, but every year around the first Advent. A change slowly begins to work its way into this crazy outdoor mall. First it starts with a variety of G.I. Joe Santa Dolls all repelling, and climbing to balconies of the Apartments. Then you notice the Chestnut stand that wasn't there yesterday. Before you know it construction teams come in, and despite the pressing crowds of shoppers somehow begin errecting little huts. Slowly one by one the Fußgangerzone gets smaller, and smaller, until everyone is walking down a little path that I guess is left there because no one could fit a hut in between them. By the time you're wondering what the heck is going on little flap doors start popping open, and SHOPPING reigns supreme. That's right.. the Weihnachts Markt is open for business, and all the wooden smoking men, nativitiy scenes, Beer Gardens, Bratwurst stands, Nutcrackers, and even Buddha statues are all overpriced and up for sell. We had a ball today enjoying the crowded streets, and the street performers. Anyone who thinks they know Christmas shopping needs to try it here in Germany. Half your currency is Change, and most places don't take card. It's a hubbub of riotous potential, and you always need to make sure you don't bumb Grandma. It was a fun day though, and we're now getting ready to head out to the temple for a choir concert. This day has been a bit symbolic of Christmas. First it was introduced with HERALDS of Joy from my companions(It was for p-day, but hey we'll cut them a break). We then bussled around a very crowded city, where no one seemed to have room for the Saviour, and now We get to spend a quiet evening away from it all, in a holy spot, quietly celebrating the birth of the Ultimate Man. Doesn't P-day rock. Merry Christmas Everyone

6 Kommentare:

Unknown hat gesagt…

It's always the odd little things that make me laugh but then again your not so little are you? I enjoy reading your blogs once a week. does mom know you have a blog?

NelsonFam hat gesagt…

That is a shopping experience I think I could live without :) It sounds crowded.

Papa D hat gesagt…

So, I found out today you have a blog. Fantastic!!! You've just gotta love the odd little things. It's kind of funny how after time they just start to become regular. In Argentina you put your garbage on the end of a stick out in the street and they come pick it up. They also build their houses with lick-&-stick bricks. Really you don't lick them but you wet one side, throw it on top of the last one and BottaBang you've got an Argentine house. Also thought you should know I'm heading to the Mt. to go skiing this weekend. Wish you were here. Any wants for the holidays?

Unknown hat gesagt…

Wow, well hellleeeeewwwww there my little lost dinosaur brother. Wow, I never thought that there would ever come a day that I would be sending a letter. About that....um I am really sorry. but Sitani always prays for you in his prayers. I always love to hear your letters. I'm so glad that you are doing a blog. I miss your little odd remarks.

Will Thomas hat gesagt…

I'm learning German just by trying to navigate through your blog page. LOL

Hope you have a Great Christmas Seth!

Sorry if your Christmas package is late, it is coming though! Christmas is like a month long there though right??? So, technically maybe it won't be late.

Jenni & I are headed to are German Christmas town this weekend; Leavenworth. It's a small town up in the mountains, that is all decorated like a German Village and does Christmas year round. I'm sure we'll have some pictures up on a blog so that you can see it.

Also, Jenni's music was featured in a short film festival contest in Germany. The film that her music as in, won! That's our ties to Germany right now!

Merry Christmas

herb hat gesagt…

Sorry for butting in here, don't mean to look like a "stalker". Found you through Luke and Jen's blog (we used to go to the same ward in Jonesboro, GA).

Anyways, I served in the Frankfurt Germany Mission in 92-93 under Pres Wirthlin and Burton. I'll be back frequently if you don't mind to see how die Missionare jetzt in Deutschland arbeiten und Spass am Leben haben!