Samstag, 28. März 2009

Back in the Saddle again

For the textually impaired I'm so sorry that this post isn't too filled with photos of all those cute girlies I've been dating lately. Instead I figured I'd update you all on my current financial situation.

With the purchase of my newest gal(Bike that is) my funds have become somewhat dryer than they normally are. So in light of me being broke(r), I decided to get a job. Ever since the great collapse of 2008 jobs have started becoming rarer than a Picachu Pokemon Card. My friend and landlady Chelsey was fired from her job a month ago, and still has yet to find a suitable job. It seems that belts are being tightened all around and so I was ready to put in fight.

For the last couple of weeks I've been eyeing every "now hiring" sign I've seen. I've run the gambit from Pizza Delivery Man, to Call Center, and nothing was feeling right. Truth be told I really wanted to work in a bike shop again, but I'm three years out of the loop and most shops here are cutting back as it is.

I figured it wouldn't hurt though so I filled out a couple resumes, and applications. Circled them around town, and didn't think much of it. To get a job as a bike shop was going to be a long shot and I was ready to move on to less favorable climes if nothing turned up.

My first two stops were Barries Ski and Bike, and Rob's Bike Shop. Neither was looking too good, but I knew Rob and he'd hired John last summer so I thought I had a chance. My last stop was Scott's Ski and Sports. I didn't have anymore copies of my resume, and so I just asked the guy at the counter if the store was hiring for the summer. He affirmed my suspicions of a no, and so I shrugged my shoulders and said I'd worked in a shop before and so I figured I asked. As he heard that his attitude completely changed. He asked if I had experience as a mechanic, which I don't(I'm NO mechanic in the least), which I told him no. He asked if I'd be willing to learn and so I said sure. He gave me an application which I filled out and brought back.

I wanted it to be perfectly clear that I was under qualified Mechanic, and even though I wanted the job I didn't want to give the owner false pretenses. To my suprise when I brought my application back the owner sat me down and we had an interview then and there. He asked me some questions, and said he'd talk to the mechanics about me to see if they'd be willing to take me under their wings.

At this point I began praying really hard that everything would work out. I was more concerned with getting a job, and knew the Lord would take care of me. I didn't have to work in a bike shop, but I really wanted too(employee discounts rock!!!).

Next thing I know I'm working as a wrench for Scott's Ski and Sports. I never would've dreamed of being hired as a mechanic, but here I am getting to do what I love to do. In all honesty everyday at work is very humbling as I'm aware at how far from being a mechanic I truly am. I just wanted to let everyone know how blessed I've been though. Times are tough for lots of people. I know many of my friends who've taken on hard jobs because it paid, and here I am. I do one afternoon of job hunting. I apply at three bike shops that shouldn't be hiring at all, and I walk away with a job. One that in all honesty I'm not qualified for.

It's amazing how the Lord has blessed me, and it's quite possible he does it just make sure I know who's really running the show. Which is fine by me...it's alot easier than trying to do it all myself.

So there you have it...my little miracle of the week. I hope everything is working out for those who read this.

6 Kommentare:

Unknown hat gesagt…

If I had any money I would have to take advantage of my brother-in-law with the store discount.

Daniel L.Thomas hat gesagt…

That is a great story. Also a great skill to learn. My bike had some problems about a month back and I still haven't fixed it. M y bike has just been sitting in the corner waiting for me to get around to fixing it.

Will Thomas hat gesagt…

Time to bless those that are less fortunate. You need to come visit the NW this summer and fix up your unemployed brother's mt. bike. It needs a major overhaul (like both rims need to be respoked - if that's even a word, new brakes, serious gear alignment, and a new rear shock to replace my current coil spring, new handle bar grips, etc...) Some come pay a visit and since I have plenty of time on my hands, I'll repay you by showing you miles and miles of dream trails.

NelsonFam hat gesagt…

Congrats! What a lucky find.

Unknown hat gesagt…

I'm glad you working. When James and I come to Idaho we'll pick up some bike tires or something at your shop to show the owner how grateful you have a job.

Just so you know. The first comment was James. He only comments of posts he really likes. I was kinda surprised to see he commented but than again your talking about bikes and blessings. James' two favorite things.

Seth Thomas hat gesagt…

thanks for the comments guys, and Will..sounds like you've got you've got a good project on your hands. I'd love to come visit, maybe sometime in the summer, but we'll see.