Samstag, 25. Februar 2012

Heidelberg at Night

More photos from the Fatherland. This blog's selection comes from a midnight excursion into my neighboring city of Heidelberg. This city is fun. Not only to photograph, but to simply walk around in. It dates back to before the time of Karl der Grosse (Charlemagne), and it the location of one of the three original Universities created during his reign. Needless to say, this city is old, like staircases and houses that're 2-3 times older than our constitution, old. It's also a really photographed/painted city and after looking at a few displays by local photographers I figured I'd give it a shot. I didn't get anything near as good as what I was trying to emulate, but I was really happy with my results. My favorites shot down below. Feel free to leave a comment as to which one is your favorite.(If this page ends up in German the link to the comments section is "kommentare" down where you normally find the comments link.)


This one isn't all that arsty, but the story behind it makes me laugh. So basically I was in the process of setting up this shot when a gaggle of drunk gals walks by. The see someone standing in the middle of the plaza with a tripod and camera and they obviously think he's setting up to take a photo of them. So in a fit of giggles and drunken hiccups they came running over begging for a picture. I tried to ignore them at first. But after ten minutes of them shouting for me to take a picture, and me remaining stoically silent it was clear they weren't going anywhere. I tried to appease them with one word answers like "Ja", "Monnem", and "Na klar" but that only made them more interested. Finally I consented and set my camera to stun, and after a couple of photos of appeasement they decided they wanted me in the photo as well. Well as the evidence clearly suggests working with drunks is a slippery slope, but finally after they felt significantly photographed and I'd declined to join them in their weekend escapades they went their way and I went mine. It was probably one of the weirdest things I've ever experienced but in the end entertaining.


The pathway that follows the Neckar to the Old City


The Center Market Plaza, complete with Cathedral


This staircase is older than Columbus and is one of the many paths up to the Castle. If you look carefully you can see an outline of one of the walls in the background.


Still playing with my Panorama Software, but here's the Bridge and Castle lit up at night.


A Panorama of the Bridge


This one is actually in Mannheim and may look familiar. My final tram home wasn't coming for another hour so I hustled down to the Watertower to try this shot I'd had in my mind for awhile. It's roughly 330 degrees around, and I need to go back for a second try because some of the shots didn't line up too perfectly, but I figured I'd show off the trial.

Well that's it. I hope you enjoyed this photos and maybe felt like you spent an evening walking the streets of Heidelberg with me.

3 Kommentare:

Sandy hat gesagt…

Gaylin and Pam took me years ago to watch the yearly representation by fireworks the burning of the university.

Sandy hat gesagt…

Beautiful Seth! Absolutely beautiful. I remember being there with you the last night we were in Germany. It's still like a dream in my head.

James and Elizabeth hat gesagt…

Lovely